Cristina T.

Splinters - Thorny Sterling First of all, thanks again Sonia, for bringing this little gem of a book to my attention, along with Thorny's blog! :)

This is Thorny Sterling's debut novel, and I think he did a fantastic job with it! It was funny, sweet, and very sexy! I also thought the mystery/drama part of the story was done nicely, and the outcome surprised me.

The best part of the story for me was Allan Seville, and I liked him right from the start. Al is a well-known model and actor, he's out and proud, and most importantly, he's femme, something which sets him apart from your typical gay characters. At one point he said, and I quote...

Femme men like myself catch hell all the time for being ourselves, even from within the gay community.

...and frankly, I think that's quite sad. I, for one, am mesmerized by femme men, and I think Al has a lot of guts to stand up for himself and be whoever he wants to be regardless of society's view of him.

Now, Duke Walters, the other MC, is the opposite of Al. He's a cowboy, strong, beefy, kind of a bear–which, I gotta say, is not usually my cup of tea, since I prefer my men on the pretty/beautiful side; I do like rugged men at times, though–and he's the one who saves Al.

There was insta-love, because the MC's were drawn to each other right from the start, but I didn't mind it, because it worked for them. They were beyond adorable together, and their sex scenes were pretty steamy.

Thorny definitely has a new fan in me, and I'll keep an eye out for his upcoming novels–can't wait! :D