Cristina T.

Restless Spirits

Restless Spirits - Jordan L. Hawk This was the first novel by Jordan L. Hawk I've read, and OH MY GOD, I adored it!!! Seriously... An old castle + ghosts + romance + great characters + fantastic writing = recipe for perfection!!!

This story is about Henry Strauss, firm believer in science and inventor of the Electro-Séance, a device meant to put mediums out of business. Due to a bad experience with a medium, Henry now believes they are all frauds, and is eager to prove himself. Enter Gladfield, who proposes a challenge–science against spiritualism–and offers the winner a prize.

The competition comes in the form of Vincent Night, devilishly handsome, charming medium, who's keen on not only flustering Henry with every given chance, but also getting the man into bed. Just like Henry, Vincent also knows the meaning of loss, as he has been forced to deal with it, too.

Bringing these two together should spell disaster, right? Well, yeah, but not quiet. They do exchange a lot of banter, especially on Vincent's side, they butt heads a lot, because each of them has his own beliefs, but when they work together, things finally fall into place... Their interactions were either laugh-out-loud funny or super hot, or a combination of both with a sprinkle of misunderstandings. Oh, by the way, that séance scene was SEXY!

Now, I wanted to smack Henry real bad at one point, and I really couldn't stand him for the way he acted. But luckily, he got over his arrogant, judgmental asshole act, and things eventually worked out and he apologized.

Another amazing thing about this book were the secondary characters who deserve being mentioned. Firstly, there's Jo, Henry's African-American cousin and assistant. Secondly, there's Elizabeth Devereaux aka Edward Dabkowski, Vincent's partner since they were young and taken in by their mentor. They are both strong women, loyal, smart, and I loved how different they were!

And last but not least, Reyhome Castle was truly creepy, and the murders were all tragic. I was on the edge of my seat throughout every scary scene, and I loved every second of it.

I could go on and on about this book, and I still wouldn't do it justice, so I'll just say I can't recommend it highly enough!!! If you're a sucker for ghost stories and romance–like I am–go ahead and read this!