Cristina T.

After Midnight

After Midnight - Santino Hassell First things first. After reading and falling in love with the marvelous ICoS series, I knew I'd adore After Midnight before I even read a word. Why? Because Santino Hassell is incredibly talented, and he simply breathes life into the worlds and characters he creates.

Now, I've said this before, but dystopian settings are not my thing. In spite of that, I loved the post-apocalyptic world, and I could imagine it perfectly. With every scene, I almost felt like I was physically walking through the ruins of the city. Not only did I want to know more about the characters, but I was also mesmerized by the city itself. And the world... OMG! Sex, violence, drugs, hopelessness, life on the streets, survival and everything in-between. I want more!

Gordon Frost
He's a PD (Pandora) dealer, he's constantly high, somewhat of a slut, he's bitchy, but at the same time, he takes a lot of shit from Chance, his boss. Gordon is complex and can be described by a wide variety of things, but something he is not is stupid. See, he's had a rough time ever since he was a kid, and somewhere along the way, he chose to become oblivious and careless. He was in survival mode, and remorse didn't touch him. People around him seem to mistake that for stupidity, which it is not. Au contraire, he's much brighter than he appears to be. Anyway. I adored Gordon!!! I loved his sense of humor, his quick wit, his dominant side, his slutty side, and most of all, his big mouth!

Adam Blake
He's a Greek God, the very definition of tall, dark and handsome, and he's very mysterious. He makes a mistake and literally stumbles upon Gordon. Mr. Greek is an assassin, and he works for the Agency, which is why he's supposed to kill Gordon, a witness. But he can't. And he becomes a stalker in a process. Adam is forced to keep a huge part of his life private, so he's always on the edge, patience is not one of his virtues, and he tries his damnest best to stay away from a certain redhead. A-ha. That doesn't work either. I loved Adam!

By the way. The UST between the two MCs is constant and panty-dropping HOT. After all, this is not a love story, this is a story about two people trying to come together in a world that wants to push them apart. So, the sexual tension is always present. They're either bitching at each other, getting annoyed with one another, or they're humping like bunnies–okay, admittedly, the sex scenes are not numerous, but they're worth the wait!!

As for the secondary characters...

Carla–Gordon's best friend and kickass woman who takes no shit from anyone. Always ready to snap a bitch in two for Gordon. They kinda act like a married couple, except he's gay, and loves her like a sister. She was awesome, either way.

Chance–Hmmm. Major asshole? Misunderstood asshole? Jealous controlling douchebag? Arrogant prick? I don't know. All of the above, I guess. I didn't quite like him, but there was something more to him than met the eye, which is why I would have liked reading his POV.

Marquis–Meh. To me, this guy was nothing more than an attention-seeking whiny bitch. And I don't like attention seekers. Also, I wanted to punch him for how he treated Gordon!

Overall, this is one of the best books I've read this year!
Highly recommended!!