Cristina T.

The Truth about Riley

The Truth about Riley - Henrietta Clarke I was really looking forward to this book, but unfortunately, I didn't like it as much as I thought I would. I did enjoy the idea of the book, and some other aspects, but it the end, I was left unsatisfied. Bummer.

The good:

The dialogue: Dialogue is fantastic when done well. This book is 90% made up of dialogue, and i have to say the author did a good job of keeping the conversations between the MCs interesting.

Cam: This guy is utterly sweet, and he has the patience of a saint. I felt so bad for him at times, because he was very supportive and he just kept being pushed away for his efforts. Deep down a lonely guy in need of love, Cam would do anything for Riley and wait however long it took for Riley to meet him face to face.

Riley's Italian mamma: I seriously adored this woman! She was there for her son without fail and she offered great advice. Also, I loved how she accepted Cam without a second thought and made him feel like he could have a mother, too.

The in-between:

Riley: Well, how I feel about him is a little hard for me to explain. First of all, I understood why he was so insecure, and he was entitled to feel that way, after everything he went through. I got why it took him a long time to be able to come out of his shell and accept love. Still, he also frustrated me endlessly, because I–the reader–already knew Cam had liked his looks for a long time before Riley found out. So, I wanted to be as patient with him as Cam, but at times I couldn't.

The bad:

The length: This book was way too drawn out, and I think it could have benefited if 50-100 pages were cut. I mean, I liked the conversations, but some were boring. I mean the Monopoly scene, for example... That game bores me to death in real life, so I was not happy to have to read about it while it was played over the phone...

The ending: Now this pissed me off. The whole book, I felt this sense of anticipation, of tension building up, and the end was supposed to be this big, explosive scene, y'know... Well, imagine my disappointment when it ended so abruptly that I had to do a double take... What's more, there's no sequel in sight...

So, three stars it is. I think that will suffice.